When I was a kid, like most other kids, I changed what I wanted to be when I grew up ALL the time. However, I remember that there was a good year or two (which was forever for me!) that I was dead set on being an author of children's books. I even wrote several stories on pieces of construction paper, stapled them together, and illustrated them myself. (Um, yikes. I have never ever fooled myself into believing that I could be an artist). ;-) Eventually I sort of forgot about my passion for children's books, but it has been rekindled now that I have two kids who have grown beyond just the "Baby Touch and Feel" books.
In a nutshell, I still LOVE LOVE LOVE children's books. Don't get me wrong, I love grown-up novels too, but I don't get excited about them in the same way that I get excited over children's books. It kills me when I go to the children's section of a bookstore and can't just buy every book that I see.
I seriously think I could read to my kids all day. I am sooo glad that they enjoy it so much. There are many different activities that I love doing with them, but I think reading to them is at the top of that list. It's simple and definitely not very flashy, but it is wonderful. I hope that they continue to love books their whole lives- even in a world that seems to be drifting away from books a little. (Boo!)
If anyone feels so inclined, please share with me one or more of your favorite children's books! I am on the hunt for more, and I don't own nearly as many as I wish I did. And if anyone is looking for some good ones, my favorites include:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Harold And The Purple Crayon
I Was So Mad (this has helped Matthew express himself better during his tantrum-throwing age ha!)
Love You Forever
If You Give.... books (A Mouse a Cookie, etc.)
Goodnight Beach
Guess How Much I Love You
The Sleepy Little Alphabet
Five Little Ducks
Dear Zoo
Where The Wild Things Are
And anything by:
Leslie Patricelli
Karen Katz (my kids LOVE these ones)
*Many (most?) of these are toddler-age books, though I am also starting to think about adding to my slightly-older kids' book collection as well.
3 comments:
Our current favorites are the Elephant and Piggie books by Moe Willems. Our kids love them from about age 2-6, and even after a thousand readings, I don't yet want to burn them with fire, so that's a good sign! I also love the new BabyLit books...the Pride and Prejudice is my favorite, but they are all cute.
My kids loved The Five Chinese Brothers. We still have it and it is worn out.
We think the Curious George books are all pretty fun, and the Pete the Cat book series! :)
Post a Comment