Don't get me wrong though - the age he's at right now is actually my very favorite age so far. He is beyond hilarious and SO much fun to be around. The tantrums still occasionally happen, but they've become a lot more rare. He's the perfect little buddy to have around and if I could freeze him forever as a three year old, I just might. ;-)
A few things about Matthew at this age that I want to remember -
Matthew has a ton of energy. He is not the type to be okay with being in the house all day. This is tricky in the summer, but luckily we can usually get out early in the morning and go for a walk or I'll fill up the little pool in our backyard and let him run around back there for a while. And without fail, every night after dinner he'll ask Michael to wrestle.... or skip the asking part and just attempt to tackle him. :-) He still likes his chill time though - his favorite ways to chill are by watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Super Why, or Caillou. He is also a big fan of reading books, which is my absolute favorite thing to do with him. We love to go pick out library books together or just read the many books we have at home. He has almost all of his books completely memorized. He'll also often request that Grandma read him a book over FaceTime.
Speaking of reading, I found out shortly after his 2nd birthday that he was an amazing sight reader. At the time he was barely even talking, but he knew so many words by sight already! When he finally starting speaking better I shifted our focus from reading to speaking since speaking opened up a whole new world for him, but he still occasionally lets me teach him some new sight words.
Matthew is finally getting potty trained. :-) For the longest time he wasn't ready, but we are finally getting there. Hooray!
Every morning I am woken up either by Michael's alarm clock or by the pitter-patter of Matthew's feet running down the hall. He'll peek into our room and slowly walk in. Most days he'll crawl up onto the bed using the chest at the foot of our bed and lay down between us. At least he is nice about waking me up. :-) (And no, he will never go back to sleep). He is a pretty early riser, even when he doesn't nap. (Ugh.) He still naps most days though. (Yay).
Some things Matthew really hates include: haircuts, being sent to time out, bugs, thinking he's being left out, when anyone other than me puts him to bed, and vegetables.
Matthew loves coloring with markers, dinosaurs, swimming, sugar, Play Doh, nursery, animals, the park, jumping on beds, helping me make cookies, and going on "adventures."
Matthew definitely picks on Kate sometimes, and I'm pretty sure that occasionally he wishes he was an only child, (ha!) but he loves her so much. He is really good at including her and paying attention to what she is doing and how she is feeling. I am really glad that they have each other.
I love to listen to Matthew sing. He is rarely on key but I guess that's one of the beauties of being a toddler - even your off-key singing is cute. :-) He "dances" by running around the living room. He'll often ask me to hold him and dance with him when music is on, and we both love that. I basically just jump around with him and he thinks that it's the most fun thing in the world. I'd have to agree.
Matthew absolutely adores his dad. The second he hears Michael start opening the door at dinnertime, he squeals, "Dad's home!" and sprints to greet him. He loves their man dates, which usually involve going to the local gas station, QT, for a donut and/or candy bar. I am so glad that they have such a good relationship.
Matthew is awesome. He is sweet and funny and we love every day with him.
For his birthday this year, we once again kept it pretty simple. (One of these days I'll throw him a big friend party). We actually did a lot of celebrating the day before because on his actual birthday Michael had a training all day at work and couldn't leave at all even on his lunch break. So the day before, we met Michael for lunch at Peter Piper Pizza. It's one of Matthew's favorite places in the whole world because after he stuffs his face full of pizza, he then gets to go play games. Kathy was here too and got to join in the fun.
On his actual birthday he woke up to streamers in his doorway (which he thought were the coolest) and requested Cheerios for breakfast. (Haha, whatever). :-) He then opened his presents and played with them all morning until I took him to Chick-Fil-A for lunch. After naps we played some more until Michael got home, and then we went out for pizza again. (Matthew really really loves pizza). After dinner we came home so he could eat his cake. He'd seen a picture of a Lego cake and requested that for his birthday. Luckily it was pretty easy!
Love this little dude so much. And I'm excited for another fun year!










No comments:
Post a Comment