Friday, July 6, 2012

Our Version of "Camping"

For our family vacation this summer, we went to Aspen Grove, UT for the Hales Family Reunion.  Because it was in the mountains and we were going to spend a lot of time outside, I expected it to feel like we were 'roughing it.'  :-)  Well, we stayed in a lodge with a bed, had a crib for Matthew, and had a private bathroom, so it was definitely much more comfortable than I feared.  It was actually much better than comfortable - it was NICE, and we had blast.

On our way up, we stopped in Vegas to give Matthew a break from the car (which he is still NOT a fan of) and spent a couple days relaxing and visiting friends and family.  We visited the Bellagio garden yet again (a favorite of ours) and enjoyed the weather.  Haha, I still laugh about how I enjoyed the weather of Vegas in the summer.  It's amazing how a summer in Phoenix, where it is a bazillion degrees outside, will change what "nice" weather means to you.

Matthew couldn't look at the camera.  Too many other cool things to look at.

When we got to Aspen Grove, I was in heaven.  The weather and scenery were gorgeous.  I miss the mountains, and the color green.  :-)  

Check out how pretty it is here!  These were taken on a hike, which Matthew loved until he fell asleep for 5 minutes and woke up cranky.  (He's asleep in the second picture.  Every time I tried to put his body more upright, he just fell over again).  :-)



We spent most of our time catching up with family, enjoying nature, swimming, playing games, and loving that meals were cooked and cleaned up for us.






Oh, and Matthew loved being surrounded by a million people to play with.  Especially grandparents that spoil him and cousins that are just about his age.


 Couch-eating contest


We were sad to go.  On our way home we stopped in Vegas again for the night and met up with my parents at my grandparents' house.  As you can see in the above pictures, Matthew was in desperate need of a haircut, so we decided to do it then.  I also wanted my mom's help because I've never cut a baby's hair.

We started out with me holding Matthew while my mom cut his hair.  Then the boys had to take over because Matthew started bawling and we girls are softies.



 Isn't this picture sad?  :-)  :-(

Anyway, the haircut turned out pretty darn cute.  We had to eventually stop before totally finishing because he was screaming and we felt bad but we touched it up a few days later.  This next picture was taken BEFORE we touched it up, so you can see some long strands of hair.... but still, pretty cute huh?  Love that face, even when he looks bored/annoyed.  ;-)


Now that we've settled back in at home, we're working lots with Matthew on his walking.  He's making progress fast!  He already walks a TON on his own, but always very slowly... and he falls a lot, haha.  Still, he'll be running all over the place in no time. 

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Hmmm, I like that version of camping!!

Laura H. said...

That couch-eating contest picture is hilarious. Crazy kids.

hales said...

Real camping is just a legal form of torture.
Miss that little monkey.

Kelsie Peterson said...

Aspen Grove looks so fun!! And i love his hair cut!