Thursday, November 21, 2013

Terrible/Terrific Twos

Matthew has been 2 for three months.  During those three months, I think that I have had some of my highest highs with him along with some of my lowest lows.  I was really, really hoping that none of my kids would ever throw a tantrum.  Ha. Hahaha.  Well, surprise surprise, that wish was not granted.  I'll spare you most of the details, but let's be real here.  It's not fun when my toddler throws an absolute fit in the store because I wouldn't buy him a $40 teddy bear or let him knock down a display of slinky's. 

Okay, so maybe I have come to understand where the term "terrible twos" comes from.  But you know what else?  I can't even begin to describe how much FUN he is.  He has always made me laugh, but as he grows, his vocabulary expands, and his personality blossoms, I find myself laughing and/or smiling at something he has said or done at least 100 times a day.  

I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again - he has a heart of GOLD.  He is extremely protective of Kate and even though he gets jealous sometimes, don't you dare mess with his sister.  He loves to run all over the place and play in the sand and the dirt.  He loves reading and learning new sight words.  He asks me for "nandy" (candy) and "bookies" (cookies) several times a day.  He will now plug my nose when I'm singing with him so that I sound funny and then he'll erupt into huge fits of giggles.  He enjoys "helping" me (with anything) any chance he gets.  He likes to explore and learn about new things.  He loves driving by the temple, and I can't wait to take him to the open house in a couple months.  When Michael comes home every evening he RUNS to him to give him a big hug and then immediately requests, "Horse!"  :-)  (Michael knows he'll be turned into a horse within a few seconds of coming home).  When we praise him for something good he has done, he lets out a giddy squeal.  He likes to point out shapes.  He has already asked me for a dog.  (Sorry kid, Dad's allergic!)  When we are about to go up or down the stairs, he'll ask for a "hug" as a way to request being carried up or down.  Manipulative and lazy?  Or funny and adorable?  ;-)  I mostly think it's funny and adorable, especially since he is content with holding my hand if my arms are already full of Kate.  :-)  He is smart and talented and I absolutely love watching him grow.

Matthew, there may be hard days, but I can't even begin to tell you how much I love being your mom.  Thanks for being SO forgiving on the days when I'm not nearly as patient as I should be.  You are the coolest little boy I know!




1 comment:

hales said...

I love that kid! See you next week.