Wednesday, February 18, 2015

37 weeks!

I am full term! Well, actually they now officially call it "early term" or something, but whatever. 37 weeks is some sort of term so I'm considering it a big deal.  ;-)  It was pretty funny - I actually feel like the baby gained about 3 pounds on the day I turned 37 weeks. (yesterday) I was feeling pretty good overall and not super-duper-crazy-uncomfortable until now! Ha! With Matthew I had really bad SPD, but I didn't get it at all with Kate. With this baby I have it ever so slightly, but it is totally manageable and I imagine it'll disappear really quickly after delivery. (It took several weeks to go away after Matthew was born). But still! I think you forget how uncomfortable the last month or so of pregnancy can be! At least I did.

For most of my third trimester I measured small, which resulted in more ultrasounds than normal. It was pretty crazy for me to see this little man around 32 and 33 weeks, as I have never seen one of my babies after 22 weeks before. It was a little difficult to see much since baby boy was pretty cramped in there, but they did switch over to 3D briefly which is always kind of fun. (Though also a little weird, as it is usually super unflattering of the baby, ha!)

I have really enjoyed having Matthew and Kate at least sort of understand what is going on. They both know that their baby brother is in mom's belly and will be coming to play soon. They know his name and call him that regularly. While I can't be 100% sure how their adjustment will go, I am guessing that it'll actually be pretty smooth. I think they'll miss how readily available I am right now to each of them since I don't have a small baby demanding a ton of my time, but learning a little more patience will be a good thing.  :-)  And I am glad that they play together so much and can rely on each other for entertainment. Matthew is already such a great big brother and I'm excited for him to have a little brother. And I really don't worry about Kate at all being booted from being the baby of the family. She's shy and bashful and sweet, but not really the type that would have a hard time not being the youngest. Obviously only time will tell that for sure, but that's my guess.

Overall I have felt pretty good for most of my second and third trimester, other than the achy-ness in the last few weeks and typical pregnancy digestive issues. Ugh. I haven't really had trouble staying pretty active and keeping up with the kids. I have actually been trying to make sure I get them out of the house a LOT lately because I know that they'll be cooped up a lot more once the baby comes. Let's hope this little man enjoys being toted around all the time and can handle sleeping on the go. And please don't tell me, "Oh he totally will - third kids HAVE to be that way because they don't have a choice." No, no... they don't have to be that way. They may not have a choice in being out and about a lot, but trust me, they don't HAVE to be easy and chill for you. You can try your best to acclimate your baby to sleeping in many different places and positions, but ultimately there's plenty that you just don't have control over. I have yet to have a newborn that "just sleeps" or even a baby that sleeps easily and well. Sure, Kate's an amazing night sleeper now, but for the first several months of her life she'd scream her guts out for two hours every single night before falling asleep no matter what. It was awesome. (Not.)  :-) Even now she has major trouble actually falling asleep. But I haven't given up hope! It is totally possible to have a good sleeper, right? Right!? Haha.

As for food cravings lately, I have mostly just had the desire to EAT. I am hungry a lot because I get full really fast. I have slept okay until the last month or so. Sometimes I'll lay in bed totally awake even though I'm completely exhausted. So annoying. So much for enjoying my last month of being able to sleep. Haha. 

The nesting instinct has definitely kicked in. I am trying to get things relatively clean before baby boy comes, though trying to get and keep my house clean is kind of a joke with two toddlers running around it all day. I busted out all of Matthew's old baby clothes (awww, so fun going through them again) and have gotten them washed and put away. Funny how my kids are pretty young and pretty close together, yet I still feel like I've been out of the baby phase for a long time. Ha! 

A couple other random things I want to have documented: This baby is almost ALWAYS hanging out on my right side, just like Matthew did in utero. He kicks the same spot in my ribs (on the right side) that Matthew did. Like brother like brother. I felt the sharpest jabs around Christmas, when it actually really HURT a couple times. I got way freaked out that it was only going to get worse, but luckily I think that him growing more gave him less room to pull back before kicking or jabbing. :-) This boy hates (or loves?) the seatbelt. It is the worst when I'm driving since it goes over my right side (where he hangs out) and he kicks it constantly. Like both my other kids, he gets hiccups aaaaall the time, usually several times a day. Matthew loves feeling the hiccups. Braxton Hicks happen a lot at night, though I haven't had them nearly as much as I did with Kate. I don't know if I'm dilated at all since it doesn't seem to matter much in regards to when I'll go into labor.... though I'm sure my curiosity will get the better of me by my next appointment at 38 weeks and I'll have them check. I am hoping to make it to March (my due date is March 10th) before he's born because I still have a few things I want to get done.... But more than anything I am hoping for a safe delivery and a healthy baby. I am SO SO excited to meet him and welcome another baby to this family. I never feel closer to heaven than I do when I get to know another one of my children. Pregnancy and babies (or kids in general, ha) are definitely hard but family is what life is all about and I absolutely love being a mother.



This was taken last week at about 36.5 weeks!



P.S. I'm still beyond terrified of labor, so I just try not to think about it. ;-) Or if I can't help but think about it, to just tell myself it'll be worth it!  :-)

1 comment: