We decided on a Dinosaur theme weeks (months?) before his actual birthday. It was the perfect theme for him, since it's easy to find decor (I am not one of those talented crafty people that could whip up my own decorations!) and Matthew has always been really into dinosaurs. He loved helping pick out some decorations for his party, and when it came time to make the invitations, he was beside himself with excitement, helping me put the invitations into the envelopes and carefully sealing it shut with a dinosaur sticker. He was also so happy to hand out the invitations to his friends.
His birthday ended up being on a Saturday this year so it worked out that his birthday and party were on the same day. His party didn't start until 1pm, so I knew it would be a long morning while he waited for his party to start. :-)
Friday night I (tearfully, of course) put him to bed and then got to work decorating his cake, putting out decorations, and giving Michael the job of blowing up a bunch of balloons. (I HATE blowing up balloons.) Matthew had actually requested waking up to balloons in his room (we'd done it the previous year) so I guess that it's now kind of a tradition. Haha. Anyway, he was super excited (though not surprised!) to wake up to that.
We hung out for a while and he played with his new stuff until it was getting close to lunch time. I put Joshua down for a nap and sent Michael and Matthew and Kate to Chick Fil A for lunch. I stayed behind to prepare for his party and clean up a little. :-)
And then it was time for the party! They had lots of fun coloring dinosaur masks...
.... and playing games like Pin The Head On The Dinosaur Bones and Don't Eat Pete. (Dino version!)
And then we sent everyone out for water fun! We filled up the kiddie pool, had a bunch of water balloons, and gave them water guns with a mission to shoot all the tiny dinosaur figurines over. It was a big hit and the boys (+Kate!) all had a blast.
Then they came inside, dried off (sort of) :-) and Matthew got to tear into his presents. Then they had cake and hung out (AKA ran around) for a few minutes before everyone's parents came to get them.
Matthew enjoyed spending the rest of the day playing with all his new toys. He requested spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I had a feeling he would, so luckily I was prepared. ;-)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTHEW!
I love this boy to pieces. I say it way too much, but he has a heart of gold. He very much is beyond his years in his desire to connect with people, especially his family. He feels everything deeply and isn't afraid to talk about those feelings. I love my alone time with him when I get to just focus on him, partially because I know how much he absolutely loves it too. He loves life and still gets excited about all the little things, such as a store putting out holiday decorations or a turtle sticking its head out of the pond or getting his little brother to laugh. He makes me so proud in his desire to learn and become a better person.
Matthew is smart. It was a very difficult decision for me to have him wait another year for kindergarten because I know how much he will absolutely love it. He likes structure and is easy to teach. When I ask him if he wants to learn about ___(fill in the blank)___ he will say yes 100% of the time. He is always down to do whatever and is so much fun to have around.
Matthew loves dinosaurs, Legos, water guns/nerf guns, sharks, puzzles, art, sports, the park, the beach, cooking, and playing games. He is an amazing reader but still prefers that I read to him. He is an amazing big brother and is so good at trying to include Joshua in the things he and Kate are doing. He has a freakishly good memory. He'd like to do a lot of things when he grows up, but his latest desire is to be both a chef and to "work with dad." He wants to go on his mission to China, Japan, Mexico, or "Grandma and Papa's house." Currently, his favorite show is Bubble Guppies and his favorite movie in Ninja Turtles. He also loves to watch home videos and hear stories about when he was a baby/toddler. He has learned to swim and can do it quite well, assuming he doesn't start to panic.
I am thankful every day that I get to be Matthew's mom. He is so patient with me and forgives so quickly. I love you forever Matthew. Now please stop growing up!!!!!!






1 comment:
Aww - Matthew -- you are the best! Love you!
Post a Comment